The Essex Healthy Schools Programme is a school health improvement strategy which builds on the commitment within Essex schools to better the health and wellbeing of children and young people.
We provide a strategic framework for schools to reflect on the relationship between health and achievement. This maximises the potential for development and innovation at a local level to improve health and wellbeing.
A two-stage process is offered to help schools identify and develop the approaches that will assist them with health improvement. This process is based on the national framework but has been streamlined and localised in the light of feedback from schools and partner agencies.
Check if this service is available in your area
Why is it good to be a healthy school?
- Children and young people tell us that they feel healthier, happier and safer in school when wellbeing is a key part of the school ethos and environment
- NAHT Report 2014 – The link between pupil health and wellbeing and attainment
- Why schools should promote students’ health and wellbeing
- Healthy Schools work can be a great way of involving parents and carers in school life
- Schools in Essex have been leaders in embracing wellbeing since taking part in the National Healthy Schools pilot in 1999
A healthy school seeks to provide a healthy environment that engages all – children & young people, staff, parents/carers and the wider community through a whole school approach.
The whole school approach is an extremely effective, evidence-based school improvement mechanism that brings about and embeds cultural change in schools.
Core themes in our work include:
- Personal, social and health education
- Emotional health and wellbeing
- Healthy eating
- Physical activity
- Pupil voice
- Parents, carers and community
Your school can gain Healthy School accreditation and support of differing levels with the following awards:
Downloads and resources
Essex school bulletin
Click here to view our Essex Schools Bulletin:
Essex Family Bulletin
Click here to view our